Friday, February 6, 2009

Insert foot here

Cheerful people annoy me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty happy person and want others to be happy too. But for some reason it bothers me when someone is indiscriminately smiley, bouncing around like they just won the lottery ALL THE TIME. In fact, sometimes I think people like that are a little lacking in the brains department. I know that this judgement of mine is probably unsubstantiated, but it's there.

So last night at a dance (Victor and I are swing dancers) I saw a girl who had a perma-grin plastered across her face. She was smiling at all the guys and acting like everything was so fabulously hysterical. I pointed her out to Victor with some kind of comment about how much she was irritating me. He laughed, and turned to our friend B to tell him that I am a "hater". B tried to find out who I was talking about but I wouldn't tell him because, you know, I don't want to be mean (FYI, it's not badmouthing if you just say it to your spouse). A little later another friend asked me to dance, and then Victor and B continued talking. On the way home Victor told me that B admitted to dating the SAME GIRL I had mentioned to him. B kept asking Victor if it was her that I had said was annoying. Thankfully, my heroic husband denied it (whew!).

Victor told me I shouldn't have judged her to be dumb because she is actually a dentist. I humbly accepted his chiding while all at the same time thinking, "how is it possible for someone who drills teeth all day to be SO FREAKING CHEERFUL?"

No comments:

Post a Comment